Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Joy of Christmas Book Tag

It's finally Christmas Eve people! Today, I thought I would do the Christmas Book Tag. This lovely tag was created by YouTuber Samantha from the channel Novels and Nonsense and you can watch her original video here.



Let's begin!

Anticipation: The Christmas excitement is real, what book release(s) are you most anticipating?


Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. This will be the first book in the a new Shadowhunter series called Dark Artifices and is coming out early March 2016. I love the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series, also by Clare, and I can't wait to dive back in the Shadowhunter world.



Christmas Songs & Carols: What book or author can you not help but sing it's praises?


I'm going with Gregory Maguire. He writes mainly adult fairytale retellings and his prose is both descriptive and lyrical, making his stories poetic despite their often dark themes. I read two of his books including Wicked, the book which inspired the musical, and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, which is a Cinderella retelling from the POV of one of her 'ugly' stepsisters. I would absolutely recommend this author and these two books to everyone. I'm hoping to read more of his books in the coming year.  

Gingerbread Houses: What book or series has wonderful world building?


The Lunar Chronicles, by Marissa Meyer, has one of the most unique and best described fictional universe I've come across. It is set in an distant future in a world where androids, advanced technologies and cities on the moon are absolutely normal. Meyer does a great job bringing this universe to life with her vivid descriptions and beautiful prose. As someone who normally don't enjoy sci-fi, I found myself falling in love with this love within the first few chapters of the first book and it's now a fictional universe I'll be revisiting from time to time. 

A Christmas Carol: Favorite classic or one that you want to read


My favorite classic is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I haven't read it in years but I recently bought a new edition of the book and hope to read it very soon.

Christmas Sweets: What book would you love to receive for Christmas?


Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. I recently bought Throne of Glass and am planning to buy the other books in the series before I finally start it. The plan is to marathon the whole thing before the next book comes out. I honestly don't know what took me so long to get into this series, lol.

Candles in the Window: What book gives you that warm fuzzy feeling ?
Source

The illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone definitely gives me those warm fuzzy feelings. Not only is Harry Potter my book of choice for Christmas, but the illustrated version also brings everything I love about this book to life through an even more magical experience. I'm glad I kept this book for Christmas and I have a feeling I might be taking it out of my bookshelf next Christmas too. 

Christmas Trees & Decorations: What are some of your favorite book covers?

Source

I really love the cover of the illustrated edition of Harry Potter. It really conveys the magic concealed between the pages of the book. Another cover I really love is that of the Puffin Chalk edition of Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. All the books in this edition are equally stunning but my favorite is definitely this one. 

Christmas Joy: What are some of your favorite things about Christmas and/or some of your favorite Christmas memories?
I have two favorite Christmas memories. The first one was when I was eleven. That Christmas morning, I opened my presents to discover my first Harry Potter book. Even now, as I remember that day, I can still feel how magical it was to open the book for the first time. That Christmas morning was magical and because of it, I'll always associate Harry Potter with Christmas. 

Source

My second favorite memory was of my trip to Hong Kong last year to spend Christmas there with my family. On the night before Christmas, we went to watch The Nutcracker performed by the Hong Kong Ballet. It was my first time watching ballet performed in an actual theater and by a professional dance company. We just don't have these things here in Mauritius. I loved every moment of it. The ballet itself was amazing, of course. But what made that evening so special was also the beauty of the actual theater and the mere fact that I was there. I kept glancing at the ceiling and the people sitting around me, almost giddy at the realization that this was actually happening. I suppose there are much grander theaters elsewhere but for me, that night, that was truly the most beautiful of places. 

If you enjoyed this tag, consider yourself tagged and...



Cover art by Of Stacks and Cups via Pagemodo

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love this tag Soudha! If I had time today, I'd whip up a post too but today is too busy for anything other than some quick blog hopping this morning LOL! Anyway, I hope you get Crown of Midnight waiting for you under the tree because I have crazy love for that book and series and I hope you will too :D I agree with you on The Lunar Chronicles and wow the chalk editions of Peter Pan are gorgeous!! Happy Holidays to you and yours my dear ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still have next year to do this tag ;) Happy Holidays to you as well Micheline <3

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking of rereading Jane Eyre too! I have a week off now and it seems like the perfect occupation. :D And reading the Throne of Glass series all the way through will be a fantastic experience! :) Happy Holidays Soudha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year is almost done and I still haven't read Jane Eyre. Well, I guess I know what I'll be reading next year! I'm rather excited to start the Throne of Glass series, especially since a lot of you seem to really love it :)

      Delete
  3. Lady Midnight is one of my most anticipated 2016 reads; I can't wait to return to the world of the Shadowhunters! And the Throne of Glass series is amazing; I hope you enjoy binge reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, I hope I enjoy it too. I'll start binge reading it pretty soon :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a great Christmas! I LOVE the HP Illustrated edition. I hope to make it an early 2016 read. And I totally agree about the Lunar Chronicles having amazing world building. Love those books.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren. I hope you had a lovely Christmas too. I'm sure you'll enjoy the HP book. It's really amazing. Have fun with it :)

      Delete
  5. You choose such great tags to do! I have to say I am really anticipating Lady Midnight as well because Cassandra Clare is basically an auto buy author for me ^^ Jane Eyre was the first adult classic I ever read, so I have a personal hold to that book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas tags are my favs ^^ I can't wait to read both Lady Midnight and Jane Eyre in 2016!

      Delete