Monday, January 18, 2016

My Most Anticipated Book to Screen Adaptions of 2016

Hi guys! Today I'm going to share with you the list of all the upcoming movies and TV shows adapted from books that I'm most excited for. If there's a screen adaptation which I've not included here but which you've been anticipating, it could be that I haven't yet read the source material. So feel free to recommend me books I haven't read yet and movies you think I might enjoy ^^

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them


Source

While I haven't actually read the book this movie is based on, I'm pretty hyped about watching this one. It follows the adventures of Newt Scamander, the man who will eventually write the fictional book Fantastic Beasts that features as a textbook in the Harry Potter books. The movie will be set in New York, 70 years before Harry's story starts and stars Eddie Redmayne as the main character.

A Monster Calls


Source

This movie is based on a book by Patrick Ness which follows the story of a young boy, Conor, after he meets a strange monster that seems to want something of him. The book is full of beautiful black and white illustrations and looks at how the young character learns to cope with tragedy and loss. I have high hopes for this movie and am really looking forward to it. It stars Lewis MacDougall as Conor and Liam Neeson as the Monster. 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Source

This is based on a book by Ransom Riggs that follows the story of a teenager, Jacob, after he stumbles across a place where children with strange abilities live under the protection of the equally mysterious Miss Peregrine. The book was great and I'm hoping the movie will do it justice. It's being directed by Tim Burton so I'm guessing the strange side of the story will be there in the movie as well. It stars Asa Butterfield as Jacob and Eva Green as Miss Peregrine. When I read the book, I had imagined Miss Peregrine as an old woman but I love Eva Green so I'm kind of okay with the casting despite her being much younger.

Looking for Alaska


Source

I'm not the biggest John Green fan out there but I did read his book Looking for Alaska and I did enjoy it, so when this movie comes out, I'll definitely be watching it. What I'm especially looking forward to is the scene of the school speech. If you've read the book, you know what I'm really talking about XD Now this movie might be released either in 2016 or in 2017 and nothing has been announced yet for the cast. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Shadowhunters


Source

This TV show is adapted from the Mortal Instrument books by Cassandra Clare and started airing this month itself. From the promos I've seen so far, it seems that they're keeping the show as accurate as possible with minor changes here and there to make it work better on screen. I'll have to wait to actually see the episodes to judge but I do really love the books and I'm pretty hyped by the show as well at this point. It stars Katherine McNamara as Clary and Dominic Sherwood as Jace. May I also point out that this show has a really attractive cast. Not that it has anything to do with the content but still... ^^

So those were some of the movies and TV shows that I'm looking forward to in 2016. What book to screen adaptation are you most excited for this year? Let me know in the comments!


Source

18 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for Miss Peregrine and Looking For Alaska! I really hope they turn out to be just as good as the books :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such high hopes for Miss Peregrine! I really hope the movie is good.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these books, I am SO looking forward to Fantastic Beasts. I also hope to read and watch A Monster Calls. Awesome picks!

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do pick up A Monster Calls, I hope you'll enjoy it. It has awesome black and white artwork that definitely adds to the beauty of the book.

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited for The Fantastic Beasts and where to Find them :D.
    I heard about Shadowhunters from Sasha of ABookUtopia and watched the trailer too. But I didn't like it... Maybe, I have to read the book before watching the TV Show. What do you think? :D ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the first episode and frankly, I thought the acting and execution were both pretty bad. Jace's acting was kinda lame :/ I really hope the acting gets better in later episodes. Same thing with the execution. I felt that the scenes followed each other in a rather brisk way with little flow. I honestly doubt they'll be able to adapt the whole book series before the show gets cancelled :/

      Delete
  4. I am over the moon excited about both Fantastic Beasts (obviously LOL) and A Monster Calls ♥ Anything from the Wizarding World is a must and since I read A Monster Calls last year, I've been in love, plus I adore Liam Neeson and he'll be voicing the monster! Perfection. I still need to read Miss Peregrine and Looking for Alaska though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love Liam Neeson and was super excited when I learnt he'd be voicing the Monster. I know he'll be great in the role. After all, he was awesome as Aslan in the Narnia movies.

      Delete
  5. I'm most excited for Fantastic Beasts! Even though I haven't read the book it's based on either, but I should before the movie comes out... A Monster Calls, I'm mostly interested because of Liam Neeson - I haven't read that book either... Actually, I haven't read any of the books these adaptations are of - I feel like I haven't read enough! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also thinking of reading the book for Fantastic Beasts soon. I'm not sure if it'll happen before the movie comes out though. It doesn't matter if you haven't read these books ;) I don't always read the book before I watch the movie either XD

      Delete
  6. I am so so so excited for Fantastic Beasts! I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I can't believe we're getting new material after all these years! (And it's Eddie Redmayne!!!)

    I've already watched the first episode of Shadowhunters and I can say that it was better than I expected. I do think that it's going to be a bit different from the books but hopefully we get a quality show.

    Great post, Soudha, and I can't wait to read more from you! :) (I'm a new follower) :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to watch a few more episodes before really judging Shadowhunters. I really want this series to pull through a few more seasons! Thanks for following ^^

      Delete
  7. I just finished A Monster Calls a couple of days ago, so I'm excited about the movie, too. But Fantastic Beasts definitely tops my list!
    I didn't know Alaska was going to be a film (though I should have guessed, it's John Green), I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for both A Monster Calls and Fantastic Beasts. I hope they'll both be great!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read all of these books - in fact, only two! I am curious about Looking for Alaska. I read TFiOS and that book and didn't like either of them, but I did love the movie of TFiOS so maybe I will love the movie of this one more too? I watched the first episode of Shadowhunters and it was okay. Looking forward to seeing more! Also, I'm really looking forward to The BFG in movie form :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your thoughts for the John Green books. I'm not a massive fan of the books but the movies tend to be good.

      Delete
  9. I've been watching Shadowhunters but I'm still not sure how I feel about the show yet. I'm really excited for Miss Peregrine's though! When I read the book all I could think about was how it would make a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, visually speaking, Miss Peregrine could be a stunning movie if done right! I'm going to keep watching Shadowhunters because I do enjoy it but honestly, I feel a little disappointed by the quality of the acting and the direction.

      Delete