Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Hamilton Book Tag!

Hi guys! I'm back today with the Hamilton Book Tag. I absolutely and totally love Hamilton, so when I saw this book tag on YouTube, I knew I just had to do it too. This tag was originally created by BookTuber Maureen and you can watch her original video here.

For those of you who are not familiar with Hamilton, this is in fact a Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton, one of the American Founding Founders. Not only is it pretty innovative to build a musical around a Founding Father, but the musical also features rap music and a pretty ethnic cast, elements which definitely sets this musical apart from what is usually done on Broadway. 


Source

If like me you live too far to actually watch the live musical, there's already a full soundtrack out there with all the original voices from the musical which you can listen to instead. And the songs are so good guys! Like, I've been listening to the soundtrack on repeat for days! And to set the tone while you go through this tag, here's one of my favorite Hamilton songs for you^^



1. The Room Where It Happens: Name a book world you would put yourself in.

Harry Potter's world, post-Voldy! I mean, who wouldn't want to live there?? You've got magic, awesome food and candy and all those awesome magical knickknacks that would make life so cool. And then you've got Hogwarts. So what if I'm a little older than 11?? I can always apply for a job there, especially with them always losing their DADA teachers XD. 


2. The Schuyler Sisters: Pick an underrated female character.

Blue Sargent from the Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really feel she's talked about enough on blogs and BookTube. As far as YA fantasy main characters go, especially female ones, I think Blue's character is very unique and refreshing. She might not have huge magical abilities or anything, but she still remains a pretty strong female character. But the best part of her character for me is that although she does have a love interest, she doesn't spend the entire book pining for him and does the best to get moving despite her romantic tribulations. Plus she dresses weird and I love her even more for that XD. 

Source

3. Stay Alive: Name a character you wish was still alive.

Okay, this one is a spoiler for the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins so I suggest you read the spoiler only I've you've read the final book. Beginning of spoiler - I wish Finnick Odair had not been killed off! I understand that they were basically at war in this book and that war comes with casualties but come one, was it necessary to kill Finnick? Right after he got married and seemingly finally got his happy ending??  - End of spoiler.

4. My Shot: Name a character that goes after what they want and doesn't let anything stop them.

For this I just have to pick Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. Celaena is such a badass character. She's an assassin and quite the tough cookie, never backing away from what needs to be done to get where she wants to be. Not gonna lie, she's somewhat of a morally ambiguous character too. But she definitely goes after what she wants.

Source

5. Burn: Name the most heartbreaking end to a relationship you’ve ever read.

Okay for this one I'm picking one of the relationships from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Beginning of spoiler - I just have to go with the Weasley twins because not only are they each other's best friends, but throughout the series, we've also  come to rely on them for their uplifting scenes and jokes. So, to actually see one of the twin die was one of the saddest parts of the entire series.  - End of spoiler.


6. You'll Be Back: Pick the sassiest villain.

Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter, is easily one of the sassiest characters in the series. I love his scenes with Harry and their banter. Draco, especially in the first books, is often so unintentionally funny that you can't help but love his character despite him being so horrible to Harry and the other characters. 

Source

7. The Reynolds Pamphlet: Name a book with a twist that you didn’t see coming.

I have to go with Clockwork Princess, by Cassandra Clare. If you know anything about Clare's Shadowhunter books, you know they are all full of twists. Well, Clockwork Princess was no exception. Beginning of spoiler - The first time I read the book, I was sure Jem was truly dead. And then, when he's revealed to have not only survived but also been turned into a Silent Brother... Damn, I was shocked! And happy too, but still very shocked. Clare sure knows how to come up with the best twists ^^ - End of spoiler.  


8. Non-stop: Name a series you marathoned. 

Well I do have a habit to marathon books, so that would be most series XD. The latest series I marathoned though was The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare and right now I'm also making my way through the 2 last books in the Mortal Instruments series, City of Lost Souls and City of Heavenly Fire. These are all re-reads for me, in anticipation for Lady Midnight, which I'm hoping to get and read soon. 

Source

9. Satisfied: Name your favorite book with multiple POVs.

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. While the book follows mostly the story of Simon Snow, the designated 'Chosen One' in this magical universe, the book is way more interesting and complex than just your average fantasy story and is in fact full of diverse subplots that unfold through the narrative threads of various other characters. 


10. Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story: Name a book/series you feel like will be remembered throughout history.

While the first obvious answer was Harry Potter, I'm actually going to pick the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan. For many of us, Percy Jackson is just as beloved as Harry Potter. The first series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, is my personal favorite although the sequel series, The Heroes of Olympus, is no less amazing. I've yet to read the newly released first book in the Trials of Apollo series but with that series coming out this year and Riordan's Magnus Chase series set in the same universe, those books will probably still be around for a while. And I know that I, for one, will definitely re-read my Percy Jackson books a few more times again in the future.

Source

So that's it for this tag guys! I hope you enjoyed it and as usual, your comments are most welcome. And if you haven't yet caught the Hamilton bug, I suggest you look up some of the songs on YouTube. You won't be sorry, I promise ^^

6 comments:

  1. This is such a great tag! I'm literally listening to the Hamilton soundtrack right now, lol! I wished I still lived in NY and was able to see the show, although tickets are impossible to get a hold of anyway. I'm hoping to read Lady Midnight soon, too; I'm especially eager to see which familiar faces from the other Shadowhunter series turn up in it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm also looking forward to seeing the cameos too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for keeping the things that needed to be in spoilers in spoilers! I haven't read a lot of these books so I appreciated it, ahaha. I haven't watched Hamilton but everyone is talking about it so it seems like one of those things I am going to have to check out pretty soon. It sounds so cool. Oh, and I have to agree. I wouldn't mind living in the Harry Potter world and I wish that character hadn't been killed off in the Hunger Games either DD:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate being spoiled myself so I try not to spoil other people :) Check out Hamilton, the songs are great :)

      Delete